Enrollment Management
Associate Vice President: Dr. Dwayne Cantrell
Division: Division of Enrollment Management
Division Office: SA 104
Telephone: (661) 654-2160
Email: dcantrell2@csub.edu
Website: www.csub.edu/admissions/ 

Department of Enrollment Services
Director: Dr. Jennifer McCune
Office:  Student Services Building
Telephone: (661) 654-3036
Email: admissions@csub.edu
Website: www.csub.edu/admissions/

Office of Undergraduate Admissions

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions is responsible for evaluating freshman and, transfer, graduate, and international applicants to the university. The office works closely with university’s administration, district superintendents and staff, high school principals and counselors, and community colleges in providing admissions information on required course patterns and other admission changes approved by the Board of Trustees for the California State University. Requirements for admission to CSU Bakersfield are in accordance with Title 5, Chapter 1, Subchapter 3, of the California Code of Regulations.  Complete information is available at www.calstate.edu.

All CSU applications must be submitted online at www.calstate.edu/apply. An acknowledgement will be sent to the applicant when the online application has been submitted successfully.

Undergraduate Admission Requirements – First-Time Freshman Students

Generally, applicants will qualify for consideration for first-time freshman admission if they meet the following requirements:

  1. Have graduated from high school, have earned a Certificate of General Education Development (GED) or have passed the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE);
  2. Complete the 15-unit comprehensive "a-g" pattern of college preparatory courses;
  3. Have completed, with grades of C- or better, each of the courses in the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory subject requirements also known as the "a-g" pattern (see "Subject Requirements"); and
    • The CSU will accept "Credit" or "Pass" grades to satisfy "a-g" requirements completed during Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall 2020 terms and during Winter, Spring or Summer 2021 terms. The CSU expects and assumes that high school Pass (Credit) grades will represent work completed at the C- or higher level. As of Fall 2021 and forward, grades are expected for courses.
  4. Earn a qualifying "a-g" grade point average (GPA) as described below.
    • California residents and graduates of California high schools will be eligible for admission by earning a 2.50 or greater "a-g" GPA.
    • Any California high school graduate or resident of California earning a GPA between 2.00 and 2.49 may be evaluated for admission based upon supplemental factors such as number of courses exceeding minimum "a-g" requirements, household income, extracurricular involvement, and other available information that would inform the university admission decision.
    • Non-California residents may be eligible for admission to the CSU by earning a 3.00 or greater "a-g" GPA along with other supplemental factors utilized by the individual university, including those outlined by impacted universities and programs.
    • Any Non-California resident earning a GPA between 2.47 and 2.99 may be evaluated for admission based upon supplemental factors such as number of courses exceeding minimum "a-g" requirements, household income, extracurricular involvement, and other available information that would inform the university admission decision.
  5. Each CSU will determine the supplemental factors used with GPA to determine eligibility in these cases and communicate these criteria publicly for prospective students.

The California State University (CSU) has permanently discontinued the use of ACT/SAT examinations in determining admission eligibility Submitted test scores by admitted students would be considered only for purposes of student placement in Math or English courses.

English Language Requirement

All undergraduate applicants whose native language is not English, and who have not attended schools at the secondary level or above for at least three full years full time where English is the principal language of instruction, must present an eligible score from an acceptable English Proficiency Exam (see below). The following are the minimum scores needed to satisfy this requirement.

Undergraduate English Language Table 

Test Score
TOEFL 61 iBT required
Duolingo 95
New Row

Provisional Admission

CSU Bakersfield may provisionally admit first-time freshman applicants based on their academic preparation through the junior year of high school and planned coursework for the senior year. The university will monitor the final terms of study to ensure that admitted students complete their secondary school studies satisfactorily, including the required college preparatory subjects, and graduate from high school. Students are required to submit an official transcript after graduation to certify that all coursework has been satisfactorily completed. Official high school transcripts must be received prior to the deadline set by the university. In no case may documentation of high school graduation be received any later than the census date for a student's first term of CSU enrollment. A CSU may rescind admission decisions, cancel financial aid awards, withdraw housing contracts and cancel any university registration for students who are found to be ineligible after the final transcript has been evaluated.

Applicants will qualify for regular (non-provisional) admission when the university verifies that they have graduated and received a high school diploma, have completed the comprehensive pattern of college preparatory "a-g" subjects and, if applying to an impacted program or university, have met all supplementary criteria.

GPA and Subject Requirements

The CSU requires that first-time freshman applicants complete, with grades of C- or better, a comprehensive pattern of college preparatory study totaling 15 units. A "unit" is one year of study in high school.

  • 2 years of social science, including 1 year of U.S. history, or U.S. history and government
  • 4 years of English
  • 3 years of math (algebra, geometry and intermediate algebra; four years recommended)
  • 2 years of laboratory science (1 biological & 1 physical, both must have laboratory instruction)
  • 2 years in the same foreign language (subject to waiver for applicants demonstrating equivalent competence)
  • 1 year of visual and performing arts: art, dance, drama/theater or music
  • 1 year of electives: selected from English, advanced mathematics, social science, history, laboratory science, foreign language, visual and performing arts or other courses approved and included on the UC/CSU "a-g" list

The California Promise

The California Promise Program enables a specific number of CSUs to establish pledge programs for entering first-time students who are both interested and able to complete baccalaureate degrees in 4-years. All CSUs have established programs for students with Associate Degrees for Transfer from any California Community College to complete their baccalaureate degrees in 2-years. The program is limited to students who are residents of California.

Students who commit to enter either the 4-year or 2-year pledge will be given a priority registration appointment for each state-supported enrollment period and will be provided with routine and thorough academic advisement. In order to remain in the program, students must meet with their advisors as prescribed, develop an enrollment plan and complete 30 semester units or the quarter equivalent within each academic year, including summer. Participating CSUs may stipulate other requirements as well. Interested students entering the CSU should contact university offices or visit the California Promise Program website.

High School Students

High school students may be considered for enrollment in certain special programs if recommended by the principal and the appropriate university department chair and if preparation is equivalent to that required of eligible California high school graduates. Such admission is only for a given specific program and does not constitute a right to continued enrollment.

Undergraduate Admission Requirements - Transfer Students

Transfer Policies of California State University System

Most commonly, college-level credits earned from an institution of higher education accredited by a regional accrediting agency are accepted for transfer to member universities of the CSU; However, authority for decisions regarding the transfer of undergraduate credits is delegated to each university.

California Community Colleges and other authorized certifying institutions can certify up to 39 semester (58.5 quarter) units of General Education-Breadth (GE-Breadth) or 37 semester (55.5 quarter) units of the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) for transfer students to fulfill lower- division general education requirements for any CSU prior to transfer.

"Certification" is the official notification from a California Community College or authorized institution that a transfer student has completed courses fulfilling lower-division general education requirements. The CSU GE-Breadth and the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) certification course lists for particular community colleges can be accessed on the official transfer and articulation system for California's public colleges and universities website, assist.org.

CSUs may enter into course-to-course or program-to-program articulation agreements with other CSUs, any or all of the California community colleges and other regionally accredited institutions. Established CSU and CCC articulations may be found on assist.org. Students may be permitted to transfer no more than 70 semester (105 quarter) units to a CSU from an institution which does not offer bachelor's degrees or their equivalents, for example, community colleges. Given the university's 30-semester (45-quarter) unit residency requirement, no more than a total of 90 semester (135 quarter) units may be transferred into the university from all sources.

Transfer Admission

Applicants who have completed fewer than 60 transferable semester college units (fewer than 90 quarter units) are considered lower-division transfer students. Applicants who have completed 60 or more transferable semester college units (90 or more quarter units) are considered upper-division transfer students. Applicants who complete college units during high school or through the summer immediately following high school graduation are considered first-time freshmen and must meet the CSU minimum eligibility requirements for first-time freshman admission. Transferable courses are those designated for baccalaureate credit by the college or university offering the courses and accepted as such by the university to which the applicant seeks admission.

Upper Division Transfer Requirements

Generally, applicants will qualify for consideration for upper-division transfer admission if they meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 in all transferable units attempted;
  2. In good standing at the last college or university attended; and
  3. Completed at least sixty (60) transferable semester (90 quarter) units of college level coursework with a grade point average of 2.0 or higher and a grade of C- or better in each course used to meet the CSU general education requirements in written communication, oral communication, critical thinking, and quantitative reasoning, e.g. mathematics.

The 60 units must include at least 30 units of courses that meet CSU general education requirements, including all of the general education requirements in communication in the English language (both oral and written) and critical thinking and the requirement in mathematics/quantitative reasoning (usually 3 semester units) OR the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) requirements in English communication and mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning.

Lower Division Transfer Requirements

Due to increased enrollment demands, some CSUs do not admit lower-division transfer applicants. Students are advised to check the respective university they are interested in to see if lower division transfer applications are accepted.

An applicant who completes fewer than 60 semester (90 quarter) units of college credit is considered a lower-division transfer student. Due to enrollment pressures, some CSUs do not admit lower- division transfers so that more upper-division transfers can be accommodated.

Having fewer than 60 semester (90 quarter) units at the point of transfer may affect eligibility for registration priority at a CSU and may affect the student's financial aid status.

California resident transfer applicants with fewer than 60 semester or 90 quarter units must:

  • Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (C) or better in all transferable units attempted;
  • Have completed, with a grade of C- or better, a course in written communication and a course in mathematics or quantitative reasoning at a level satisfying CSU General Education Breadth Area A2 and B4 requirements, respectively;
  • Be in good standing at the last institution attended; and
  • Meet any one of the following eligibility standards.

Transfer Based on Current Admission Criteria

The applicant meets the freshman admission requirements in effect for the term for which the application is filed; 
- OR -
Transfer Based on High School Eligibility
The applicant was eligible as a freshman at the time of high school graduation and has been in continuous attendance in an accredited college since high school graduation;
- OR -
Transfer Based on Making Up Missing Subjects

The applicant had a qualifiable eligibility index at the time of high school graduation (combination of GPA and test scores if needed), has made up any missing college preparatory subject requirements with a grade of C- or better, and has been in continuous attendance in an accredited college since high school graduation.

One baccalaureate-level course of at least 3 semester (4 quarter) units is usually considered equivalent to one year of high school study.

(Note: Some CSUs may require lower-division transfer students to complete specific college coursework, for example the four basic skill courses, as part of their admission criteria.)

Transfer Credit

Transfer students are required to submit transcripts from all institutions attended in order to ensure all applicable course are evaluated for transfer. Transfer credit evaluations are available only to CSUB student applicants who transfer from other institutions, meet eligibility, are admitted, and intend to enroll. Continuing students, graduate students, and Extended University students do not have their transcripts evaluated. Community College transfer students are encouraged to request a “full” or “partial” general education certification from the college attended. A general education certification is available only to students transferring from a California Community College. Students who have specific questions regarding transfer credit and equivalencies are encouraged to review the online resource ASSIST (http://www.assist.org). Additionally, students may view their completed transfer evaluation and credits in myCSUB portal under Academic Requirements and/or meet with their academic advisor.

Associate Degrees for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T)

The Associate in Arts for Transfer (AA-T) and the Associate in Science for Transfer (AS-T) degrees offered at the California Community Colleges (CCC) are designed to provide a California community college student the optimum transfer preparation and a clear admission pathway to the CSU degree majors.

CCC students who earn an Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) are guaranteed admission with junior standing to a CSU and given priority admission consideration over other transfer applicants when applying to a local CSU or non-impacted CSU program. AA-T or AS- T admission applicants are given limited priority consideration based on their eligibility ranking to an impacted university/program or to CSUs/programs that have been deemed similar to the degree completed at the community college. Students who have completed an AA-T/AS-T in a program deemed similar to a CSU major are able to complete remaining requirements for graduation within 60 semester (90 quarter) units. It is the responsibility of the student who has earned an AA-T/AS-T to provide documentation of the degree to the CSU. For the admissions process, students are responsible for working with their community college counselors to complete verification of AA-T or AS-T degree progress through the e-verify process within the established university deadlines.

Provisional Admission

CSU Bakersfield may provisionally or conditionally admit transfer applicants based on their academic preparation and courses planned for completion. The university will monitor the final terms to ensure that those admitted complete all required courses satisfactorily. All accepted applicants are required to submit an official transcript of all college-level work completed. CSUs may rescind admission for any student who is found to be ineligible after the final transcript has been evaluated. In no case may such documents be received and validated by the university any later than a student's registration for their second term of CSU enrollment.

Admission Requirements - Special Applicant Programs

High School Students

High school students may be considered for enrollment in certain special programs if recommended by the principal and the appropriate campus department chair and if preparation is equivalent to that required of eligible California high school graduates. Such admission is only for a given specific program and does not constitute a right to continued enrollment.

Adult Students

As an alternative to regular admission criteria, an applicant who is 25 years of age or older may be considered for admission as an adult student if they meet all of the following conditions:

  • Possesses a high school diploma (or has established equivalence through either the General Educational Development or California High School Proficiency Examinations).
  • Has not been enrolled in college as a full-time student for more than one term during the past five years.
  • If there has been any college attendance in the last five years, has earned a 2.00 GPA or better in all college work attempted.

Consideration will be based upon a judgment as to whether the applicant is as likely to succeed as a regularly admitted freshman or transfer student and will include an assessment of basic skills in the English language and mathematical computation. 

Re-entry Students

Returning students in good standing must apply for admission if absent for more than two full consecutive semesters, e.g. fall and spring, immediately preceding the term in which re-entry is sought. If the student has attended another institution during that time, a transcript must be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions indicating all work for which the student was registered. Policies relating to application fees, statements of residence, and transcripts apply to re-entering students. Students placed on Academic Dismissal status should refer to the section on “Readmission of Academically Disqualified Undergraduate Students” in the Academic Information section of the catalog.

Veterans and Military Servicemembers

Veterans and Military Servicemembers are welcome to apply for admission and must meet the same admission criteria established for all students.

Eligible Veterans and Servicemembers who attend California State University, Bakersfield may receive their appropriate Veteran Educational Benefits. For additional information concerning service benefits, please check with the Certifying Official in the Office of the Registrar. 
The Office of the Registrar will evaluate all military educational training and experience for transfer credit. Credit is awarded based on recommendations provided by the American Council on Education (ACE). Veterans and Military Servicemembers seeking a military credit evaluation or credit should submit applicable supporting documents including a DD214 (separation papers), DD295 (evaluation of military experience), or a Military Registry Transcript; and all academic transcripts from colleges and/universities.
The Veteran's Coordinator is responsible for working with the CSU community and the Veterans Administration to ensure certified veterans are receiving their benefits. Please contact this office if you are a veteran or have any questions regarding Veterans and Servicemembers affairs. The Veterans Coordinator is located in the Veteran’s Center in the Division of Student Affairs or may be contacted at (661) 654-3935.
Veterans and Servicemembers are provided priority registration appointments during the Registration period.

Applicants Not Regularly Eligible

Applicants not eligible may enroll in courses at a community college or another appropriate institution in order to meet the university admission requirements. Case-by-case circumstances, and only by consideration by an appeal, will such applicants be reconsidered. Applicants not meeting eligibility for admission may consult with an Admissions Officer for individual circumstances regarding eligibility.

Admission Requirements - Students with Disabilities

Students with Disabilities Impacting Admission Eligibility and Eligibility Requirements

Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to complete college preparatory course requirements, if at all possible. If an applicant is judged unable to fulfill a specific course requirement because of his or her disability, alternate college preparatory courses may be substituted for specific subject requirements. Substitutions may be authorized on an individual basis after review and recommendation by the applicant’s academic advisor or guidance counselor in consultation with the director of a CSU disabled student services program. Although the pattern of courses may be slightly different from the course pattern required of other students, students qualifying for substitutions will still be held to the same number of courses of college preparatory study. Students should be aware that course substitutions may limit later enrollment in certain majors, particularly those involving mathematics. For further information and substitution forms, please call the director of disabled student services at your nearest CSU campus.

Students with Disabilities–Special Admission Policy

CSU Bakersfield offers an admissions process for applicants may not meet CSU eligibility requirements for admission and resulting from a disability.
To petition for special admissions, the applicant will need to submit an Admissions Appeal to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. The Appeal may be found on the webpage:   https://www.csub.edu/admissions/appeals
Supporting documentation must be included, along with required academic transcripts. Documents from an appropriate professional, and contain the diagnosis, functional limitations, and factors that impact the student in an educational setting may be included in the appeal.
Students with learning disabilities must have recent documentation that is based on appropriate testing instruments using adult norms.
Supporting information may include:

  • A letter from the SSD office of your prior college or high school, which includes the following information:
  • The nature of the disability and the functional limitations imposed by the disability.
  • The accommodations provided while attempting the missing requirement(s).
  • Verification that attempts were made, using appropriate accommodations, to fulfill the missing requirement(s) for admission eligibility.
  • SSD Special Admission Agreement:
  • Complete and return the agreed upon conditions outlined in the Special Admissions Agreement with SSD.

No review will be made until all documentation is received. An interview may be required should additional information be needed. If all criteria for Special Admission support are met, SSD will forward a letter of support to the Admissions Review Committee. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will notify the applicant of the Committee’s decision. If admitted to CSUB, the applicant must call to schedule an intake appointment with an SSD staff member. The SSD office may be reached at (661) 654-3360 (voice) or (661) 654-6288 (TDD).